Saturday, September 6, 2014

Summer Short Story Spectacular, Season 1, Episode 14 - MARGARET DALEY

As September begins to wind down, I'd love for you to meet Margaret Daley, an award-winning author of ninety books (five million sold worldwide.) All I can say to that is Wow! Great work Margaret! 

 She has been married for over forty years and is a firm believer in romance and love. When she isn’t traveling, she’s writing love stories, often with a suspense thread and corralling her three cats that think they rule her household. 

Here are my questions for Margaret:

What is your all-time favorite short story and why? 

The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe I love that story because of the way suspense was created in it.

I agree. That's one of my favorites, too! I'd advise any short story writer to get ahold of that story and study it. 

Margaret, what is the most difficult part of writing short fiction? 

Flushing out the main characters to add depth to the story.

What piece of advice would you give to a prospective short story writer? 

Learn to write tight. Watch your adjectives and adverbs.

Which is your short stories should we read first and why? 

Deadly Hunt and Deadly Intent are novellas (part of the series Strong Women, Extraordinary Situations). I wrote a short story for Love Inspired Suspense for the Harlequin website. It's called Guarding His Child. Click here to read the story.

You can learn more about Margaret's books here:

margaretdaley.com.

Buy Deadly Hunt links:

Buy Deadly Intent links:

2 comments:

  1. Ninety-books! Amazing. How many books do you write a year, Margaret?
    Love your tagline -- strong women, extraordinary situations. Piques my interest for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, five million copies sold. I think I would enjoy your stories and plan to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete